Fandom Fabric: Harry Potter dress

Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I love being a part of fandom and talking about my favourite books, TV shows and films. I love Pokemon (as evidenced in my last post by my Pikachu tee), Doctor Who (see wayyy back in the archives for my exploding Tardis dress), but my one true fandom love is Harry Potter.



I read the books over and over throughout my life, they really helped me through tough times growing up. Now, I am a proud Hufflepuff (represent!) who, honestly, is a little shocked that I don't own any me made Harry Potter things!

I have owned many a tee throughout the years, and currently wear almost exclusively HP socks, but I never found the right fabric for a themed dress until the Knitting and Stitching show last October, where I found this amazing HP newsprint fabric! While I have been trying to steer away from quilting cotton (which this is), I am not averse to using it when the design is so relevant to my interests!



I made a NL6048, a pattern which I have made multiple times before. So I know it well and knew I wouldn't make a mistake with this fabric. I then decided I needed some black to balance out all the pattern. So I brought this dress, finished except for trim, to Australia when I came home for those few months. On my way through during my stay in Hong Kong I went into the fabric district and picked up some black velvety ribbon from a local haberdashery. Then it helped keep me busy in Canberra, hand sewing the trim on to the bust, waist and hem. I toyed with the idea of a bow on the waist trim as well, but that was too much even for me! So this is how it turned out.



I am so happy with it, and have worn it out a few times already. I just have to remember that people are not staring, they're just reading! I don't wear much white, but I like it on me and it makes me look tan; I'll just avoid wearing it to potentially messy activities, I guess.

I've paired this dress today with not only some HP socks, but these cute HP shoes! They're converse-adjacent sneakers that I got from Primark (also where I get all my socks) and despite the slight blue/black mismatch, having the ability to wear this entire outfit together makes me smile so much!



The only other random related dress which I have planned is a Sherlock dress. I have a vision of a full circle skirt dress using the Sherlock wallpaper fabric print (available on Spoonflower), with the yellow smiley embroidered on to the skirt. I have had it in mind for a while and am just waiting for the perfect excuse to actually order the Spoonflower fabric...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs