2020: Looking Ahead, and a Make 9 or two

Now that we've covered what happened in 2019, let's look forward to 2020! Last year, I didn't reach my #makenine goals, but I think it's still good to have something to aim for. This year, a lot of these patterns are ones I would have like to make in 2019 but didn't get a chance to!

In the end, what I really want to do in 2020 is to sew from my stash, using both existing patterns and fabrics. So what I have done is created two linked lists, one of patterns, and one of fabrics I want to use. Because I have a lot of plans already in my head, of the two lists 6 patterns are already linked to fabrics on the corresponding list. So, let's discuss, shall we?


2020 MAKE NINE - PATTERNS

1: Cottesloe swimsuit (Megan Nielsen Patterns)
Having made a bikini already, and having bought swimsuit fabric I haven't used yet (see fabric #4) I decided to add to my me-made swimsuit collection soon by making the one piece Cottesloe with the tie. I think I have everything I need for this one already!

2: Ginger jeans (Closet Case Patterns)
Another thing to challenge myself in 2020 with is jeans! The ultimate goal is to make black skinny jeans which I can wear for work, but I'll be starting out with blue denim. I already have the pattern, fabric, and a notions kit from Closet Case.

3: Kelly Anorak (Closet Case Patterns)
A pattern which I had hoped to start after the summer, before work got super crazy, I have had everything I need already (fabric, lining, thinsulate, and a notions kit) and will be starting this as soon as I can!

4: Lena knit dress (Simple Sew)
I picked up this pattern in a swap and while the original plan was to make a luxe crushed velvet party dress with it, I am still hoping to use it for that - only for parties next year instead!

5: Moneta knit dress (Colette Patterns)
A pattern I've had for ages (and the fabric earmarked for it), but I have never just got to it and being a knit dress it ought to be a quick make so I should be able to get it done relatively easily.

6: Magnolia dress (Deer and Doe)
This is the only project on this list which I don't already have fabric earmarked for, and I'm not even sure where I'd wear a dress like this, but I love it so much and want a version for swanning around at summer gatherings!

7: Shelby dress ripoff pattern (New Look 6567)
I so very nearly bought the Shelby dress pattern from True Bias when it came out, but then was alerted to the fact that there is a pattern that is almost exactly it (especially if you're like me and were after the dress version) in New Look 6567. This has the same silhouette and shaping, plus multiple neckline options. The only thing I have to change is to turn the center front seam into a button band!

8: Morris Blazer (Grainline)
I've had this pattern for AGES. In fact, I'm pretty sure I originally bought it after seeing this post from Sew Busy Lizzy. While at SewBrum a few months back, I found this black and white speckle fabric, and I immediately thought of this pattern. It's fate.

9: Sylvia Robe (Sew Over It)
This is a new pattern to me, in that I don't think anyone I follow has made this. But somehow, towards the end of the summer I got it in my head that I needed a light, chiffon, floaty robe to wear in the summer (I pictured it with a tank top tucked into high waisted shorts). Again (there's a theme here) I never got to it! But it will be a new skill in sewing with chiffon, despite the simple nature of the garment.

Shortlisted: Sirocco jumpsuit (Deer and Doe)
A pattern which almost made this list (and which I might still make) is the Sirocco. It was a huge hit online, and looks fabulous in person on everyone I've seen in one in real life, but I'm just still not sure it's for me. That's why I have the Magnolia on the list instead.


2020 MAKE NINE - FABRICS
1: Lindy Bop book print crepe
I saw this fabric on Instagram with someone else having made it into a dress, and I had to have it! Now I just need to wear it.

2: 'Oil slick' blue crushed velvet (Lena)
This gorgeous grey-blue crushed velvet will be the world's comfiest party dress in the form of a Simple Sew Lena.

3: Navy/white stripe knit (Moneta)
Destined to become a Moneta dress, the only question left to answer is which was the stripes should go. I am thinking horizontal on the bodice and vertical on the skirt?

4: Maroon swimsuiting (Cottesloe)
The previously mentioned leftover swimsuiting (I originally bought 3 colours for my bikini but only used 2), this will become the one piece Cottesloe for next summer.

5: Light green 90s floral print rayon (NL6567)
This fabric is actually one of two I have earmarked for this pattern, along with a maroon ditsy floral print (what can I say, the dress pattern is very 90s and so are ditsy floral prints!) to make 2 versions of this dress.

6: Black and white gingham cotton
No pattern set aside for this one, but I used to have a black and white gingham dress (go back through the blog if you're curious) and I miss it! So when I found this lovely one on Minerva, I dove right in and bought it. But like I said, pattern TBD.

7: White floral broderie anglaise
This one is also pattern TBD, but I have been looking for the 'right' broderie anglaise in my life for the longest time. This one from Minerva with the floral print is exactly what I was hoping for - but I'm not sure yet if it will stay white! I am toying with the idea of dying it and using a white underlay, or maybe leaving it white and using a coloured lining...

8: Softshell/Thinsulate (Kelly)
For one of my next projects, I have another new-to-me fabric - well, fabrics. I am going to make a Kelly anorak, with the hood, using a navy blue Softshell fabric (which is water resistant) and a bright red lining. Additionally, I am going to quilt it with Thinsulate so that it's extra warm. I am an Australian born girl, living in the UK, and spending time outside as part of my job means that I get cold and drizzled on! So Softshell, thinsulate, and with a hood is just what I need.

9: Grey/red/black/white plaid (pleated skirt)
This fabric I have had for a while and all I want to do is make a schoolgirl style preppy pleated skirt with it. This should be quite quick and hopefully I can get it down before the weather warms up too much!

So those are the plans. My main goal is to prioritise sewing time in the evenings. Not let myself procrastinate by watching TV when what I actually want to do it sew! No more bad excuses, no more terrible TV when I sit there and think 'I could be sewing right now'. Just, DO THE THING. And then I can get most of the things on my list done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs