Floral Belladone



This pattern is the Deer and Doe Belladone. Those who are long time readers of my blog will recognise my love for this pattern company. I have made Belladones, Daturas, Chardons, and of course a Luzerne! I actually also am planning to make Sirocco and Magnolia at some point soon - they're both on my Make Nine for 2020. (Since writing this post originally, I have made the Sirocco once, with plans for a second, and I changed my mind on Magnolia, buying the Myosotis pattern instead!)


I have made quite a few Belladone's in my time, it must have been 4 or 5, although not many are still surviving. This is mostly due to moving interstate, across the world, and also my fluctuating weight. But I do like the silhouette and I always really loved the cross over element at the back (to the point where I've never made it with the plain back!)


This fabric was, I believe, one of my earliest purchases from TMOS (the Man outside Sainsbury's) in Walthamstow? It's a light but quite stiff cotton and it is quite tightly woven. I think this wasn't the best choice for this dress as it has very little give, and as it was a snug fit when I made it, I don't always feel comfortable wearing it. It's never actually too tight, but it feels too tight to wear out in public on some days (if I've been eating too much...).


I toiled a new size this time around because I hadn't made this in a long time and I wasn't sure if the size I had made in the past was the right size. I ended up making a size 40 with no alterations. I used red bias binding, which was half exposed, to match the red in the fabric and draw attention to the cross over back. I also used it for the underarms but I hid it there. I also used bias binding on the hem, as it turned out shorter than I expected - but with the bias it's a great length


This dress doesn't get as much wear as it should I think because of the fabric, combined with a change in taste, I just haven't been as interested in this exact pattern as I used to be. But I think I should try remaking it with a more drapey fabric and it might get more wear then.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs