90s Floral Lady Skater

This is such an oldie but a goodie. I hadn't even realised that I hadn't taken photos of it yet until I was going through my cupboard in preparation for this photoshoot. In fact this is truly one that I love and wear a lot. I actually took photos of it last during this shoot, as it was already on the ironing board having just been washed, and then I wore it all day - again!


The Lady Skater is such a versatile pattern. It is a really lovely shape and style for casual weekend wear, and I have worn mine quite a lot, although this one was always my favourite. I have made, I think 4? but only 2 are still around. This is mostly due to the fact that the Lady Skater was the first non-sweater knit I made, and I didn't really know much about knits.


I did have one in a hunter green panne stretch velvet (which was lovely and I wore it for my first UK Christmas), which didn't have enough stretch so it didn't last very long, and I had another with a similar situation. But with this one I did well!


I think the longevity of this make is down to the amazing fabric. I bought it before I made anything with knits purely because I liked it so much and the 90s vibe it gave. It is from the Village Haberdashery in West Hampstead (gorgeous shop, please go and support it and Annie if you are able!), although it's at least 18 months old, so you won't find this exact fabric. But it gave me the best 90s child vibe - and I was one (just)! - so I used this lovely fabric. It also helps that with a half circle skirt it doesn't need too much fabric either!


I made my usual size (size 5), with a cap sleeve, which is always my personal preference for sleeve length when I can. After I made this version, I decided to take 1" up from the waist bodice seam in my future makes, which I think is a little more flattering, but this is just fine. If I have one gripe with this pattern, however, it's that I don't love the feel of the elastic around my waist, just because I can feel the plastic bit on my stomach and it sometimes rubs when it gets warm out. But it is a minor complaint, which I can always fix with another make by using softer elastic.


After a lot of wear, mostly pairing with converse and sunnies for weekend adventures, I have learned a few things about this dress. Yes, there is a little pilling on the lower back from where my backpack rubs when I use a handbag backpack or cycle with a bag, but it's not noticeable. Yes, it is a little faded from love. But I wear this dress a lot on adventures, and that makes it great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs