Another Wearable Toile; the Sirocco Romper

This garment is another product of my SewBrum 2019 raffle prize win. While the colours in this fabric aren't bad, I just didn't feel they were really me. However, in the bundle was also a dark blue and a complimentary dark blue floral, and when I saw them I immediately imagined them as an opportunity to finally make the Deer and Doe Sirocco jumpsuit. But, would I wear it?


So I decided to use this other fabric from my bundle to make my wearable toile of the romper version. It's a really light jersey in this sage green pineapple print. As you might be able to see, I made a few changes and they were all simply to make it fit on the fabric. Firstly, I left the sleeves off! I also taped the pocket and front pieces together so that my version has no pockets. This meant that I could fit it all on the approximately 1.5m piece I had, although I couldn't be particular about where the print ended up. I cut a size 44 all over, which is my usual size for D&D patterns. I ended up sewing with 2cm side seams and taking a 1" wedge out of the side seams of the bodice. I suspect that last adjustment was purely to counteract the lack of sleeves (as there is no sleeveless variation and the armscythe is drafted accordingly). I turned the sleeve hem up 1" and the shorts hem up 2" in the end.


And my verdict is - I wore this A LOT last summer. Like, on constant repeat. Given I was stuck at home, our house has no aircon and a tendency to overheat, I lived in this romper for the best part of several weeks (don't worry, I also washed it!) I was surprised how comfortable I found it to wear, and going to the bathroom was not as inconvenient as I expected - although I haven't worn it out of the house yet so can't comment on wearing it to a public bathroom!


This was a perfect toile - I will continue to wear it when the heat is at it's worst in the UK, and in the meantime will use my other fabrics to make a colourblocked (pattern-blocked?) version with long pants and sleeves (and pockets, duh) for the future! The only change I'll make will be to cut a size 42. It'll be great in the spring time, and perfect for walking in the park!

(Here I'm holding the fabrics for the next version of the jumpsuit I'll be making - eventually!)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs