More Summer Essentials; Grainline Maritime Shorts

 In the lead up to last summer, I made 2 pairs of what I considered 'essential' summer shorts. This is the second pair I made (the Landers have already been blogged!). And of course, they have become essential. I wore them all summer long and once it got too cold I popped a pair of tights on and a warm jumper on my top and kept wearing them! Both of these pairs will be looking after my wardrobe for years to come.

This is the Maritime pattern by Grainline. I have made these shorts twice before, once in star print stretch denim, and once in heavy blue linen. They are my favourite shorts pattern so why mess with a classic? I think this also officially makes it a TNT (3 makes does that, right?)For fabric, I used a perwinkle twill I bought from the Village Haberdashery which I dyed black and added to some black remnants I already had from a (very old) Chardon skirt. That made sure I had enough fabric for both these Maritimes and also the Landers I made too.

I cut a size 8 same as last time, and made sure to overlock my seams on the inside. Then I just made it - I have no other notes and remember it as being a very straightforward sew! I really enjoy using interesting fabric for pockets though, so I picked this blue based penguin print quilting cotton for these pockets. This fabric was a special one as I picked it up as a souvenir while on our honeymoon in November 2016 in New Zealand (along with some possum wool I still haven't knitted up yet!).

I did decide to get creative with this pair as well, so to coordinate with the pocket linings, I picked some blue embroidery threads and got sketching on the paper pocket pieces, the same way as i did with my Landers. I went with what I hoped was a calm looking swirl effect on the pockets, and I'm really pleased with the way they turned out. I fell like that little bit adds quite a lot to the look of the shorts, given that otherwise they're totally plain black.

 

 

I am really glad that I took the time and care on these as I know I will wear them loads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs