Summer Chic; Sylvia Robe

I had a vision in my head in early spring of what I thought would be my perfect Summer 2020 look. It was black Landers (in a previous post), a white tank, and a breezy cover-up in some kind of sheer material. I knew it would be perfect for me in summer - the sheer nature of it would make sure I didn't overheat, but the sleeves would make sure I didn't get sunburnt. Despite the fact I'm Australian, I have one very English quality - my skin is so pale I can get sunburnt on a cloudy day! Literally has happened several times.


So I set out to make the Sew Over It Sylvia Robe for the summer. I picked a lovely sheer black crinkle chiffon from Minerva with a vintage-style floral print on it. I figured the black base would mean it went with other things if I wore it outside of the one outfit in my head! I picked the short length for outdoors, and made it a size down from my measurements (M).

I feel like this is just pleasantly oversized, and the sleeves are the perfect length for not (often) getting caught as I swan around the house or the park. For my own pleasure, I French seamed the whole thing (there are only about 4 seams!) and used my machine to stitch in the ditch rather than hand sewing, for security.

This is not a garment that the Husband likes on, but I feel so fabulous swanning around in it I really don't care! And as soon as I finished it, I realised it would make perfect gifts - so my MIL got one for her birthday (in another sheer chiffon from Minerva), and my own Mum got one for Christmas (in very appropriate Botanist's Diary Liberty lawn). They have both been happily recieved and worn, which makes me a very happy sewist indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs