Purple Ponte Dress; or, a FAIL!

I ummed and ahhed about whether to post this dress or not. I don't usually talk about my fails, which I think is totally normal. People don't want to embrace their failures, but this I think it an interesting failure, and for a few reasons.


The first reason is the pattern. This pattern is McCalls 7504, which looks really lovely on the envelope. I sewed it up in a size 14, using the finished measurements to choose my size as I typically like less ease than most patterns are designed for. I did make the correct size and it fits decently. This was actually not picked by me, but was chosen by the Husband as something I should try in order to branch out and try new silhouettes. Normally his complaint is that all my dresses are "the same" - by which he means - they have a fitted bodice and a flared skirt. Which yes, they do, because this is a look that not only works on me (I think) but is something I feel comfortable in. But in the effort of branching out, I thought I'd try it. Some of the patterns he's suggested are great, just in case he's reading! Just this one didn't work the way I'd hoped.


The pleating on the bodice looked flattering on the model, but on me I feel like it just emphasised my stomach rather than hiding it. The waist seam looks bulky and the back without any pleating sits in a very unflattering way.


I also think the fabric wasn't quite right. I used this purple ponte which I picked up on Goldhawk Rd, but I don't think it was heavy enough to skim my body the way I wanted it to. Also the back uses a zipper to go in, which in ponte goes very lumpy and bumpy. In order to get the zipper to stay flat I have to constantly tug and pull at it and it makes me feel very self conscious.


Since I have made this dress, I haven't worn it out of the house. I put it on occasionally and look at it on me, only to be reminded why I don't wear it out, but I always thought that if I lost weight or exercised more that it would look good on me. But I have realised that this is just not the style and dress for me with the body shape that I have. So now it is in the 'refashion' drawer, and I'm thinking I might be able to make something more suitable using the dress as a fabric source. So in the end, I guess lessons learned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs