2020 in Review, and #MakeNine2021

So I am a little behind on this one! I nearly didn't do an end of year review, as 2020 was the strangest of years for us all.

Personally, it wasn't a terrible one. Yes, we had a lot of plans that got cancelled (including going home to Australia for Christmas), but we both still have our jobs, our house, and our health, so I can't really complain too much! Professionally it was the strangest year yet and that is saying something! I spent from the first lockdown in March until September working remotely from home, and as we live in London, will be starting 2021 doing the same. But again, I am lucky - I am currently in my second year at my first ever permanent job! I had lamented in the past that i had never had a permanent teaching position before, but now I see that actually I got one just at the right time, and in a supportive environment given the circumstances.

One advantage of working from home was that I got more sewing done - I used my lunch and the time I made up by not commuting to sew and exercise (well, there was some exercising). I made 16 garments from the beginning of the first lockdown in March (my tracking system before that had kind of fallen off a cliff, so I haven't got a reliable record of the first few months - plus it wouldn't be much anyway as we had visitors for all of January!), and looking back it was a very good year!


I did sew 5 dresses (unsurprising), 3 jumpers (all Lindens), 2 pairs of shorts, 1 top and a range of other things: 1 set of PJs, a pinafore, a robe, a Romper and an Anorak. But actually the thing that surprised me looking back was how many gifts I made! 4 sewn gifts (2 robes for my Mum and MIL, and 2 baby rompers for colleagues), but I also got into embroidery and made quite a few bookmarks, cushions and tote bags. It turns out embroidery is a lovely past time, and makes great gifts! So I'm hoping to keep on with that. All these projects that were for me have now been photographs and will be appearing on the blog over the next few months - aside from my Anorak, which is a few posts back!

And this is my 'Year in Colour'. There is still a lot of blue, however I think part of that is down to the fact that my sewing table is blue (in fact, the colour of the largest blue bubble), but I am pleased with the fact that there is more red tones and greens. I'm hoping to continue this theme through 2021 with more non-blue makes (I do love blue but it is very dominant in my wardrobe.

But enough of that, lets look forward to 2021! I have done the same for 2021 as I did for 2020 - picked 9 patterns I would like to make (most of which I own already but haven't got to yet!), and 9 fabrics which I want to use. Some of these overlap, but not all of them. And this year I have a wildcard!

For my #MakeNine patterns, I have carried over a few patterns from last year. These are ones which I obviously intended to make, but they were more 'occasion' wear, and there were none of the occasions I wanted to wear them at (no beach trips or fancy parties!). So instead of rushing them into the last few months of the year I decided to just carry them over. So, from top left, we have:
  1. Megan Nielsen Cottesloe swimsuit (in the view in the picture, low back and tie) - 2020 carry over pattern
  2. Papercut Rigel Bomber - I decided partway through 2020 that I wouldn't wear the Grainline Morris blazer I had planned as much as this pattern so bought one of the final paper copies all the way from NZ before it ran out!
  3. Pauline Alice Quart Coat - this is a gorgeous military inspired pattern that I think would look fab in my wardrobe
  4. Simple Sew Lena - this was going to be my Christmas dress pattern, so I'm pushing it to be for Christmas 2021 instead
  5. By Hand London Hannah - After making a Calvin dress, I realised that wrap dresses are great and I'd like to try one in more of a fit and flare style. Hannah is perfect for it!
  6. My wildcard! I want to make some work trousers next year, ideally high waisted and with a partial elastic waist. I don't have anything like that in my wardrobe and would like to change that,. I rarely wear trousers to work but when I do they're RTW.
  7. Deer and Doe Magnolia - this was in the 2020 Make Nine too, and I changed it to be the Myosotis, but then decided I wanted to try both!
  8. Deer and Doe Myosotis - I bought some dresses that were a bit similar recently to try out the shape, and I love it so I can see this one being made a few times in 2021!
  9. Deer and Doe Plantain tee - I know it's a free pattern, but I have leftovers from knit dresses which are just begging to be tees, and I bought some gorgeous jersey and flannel to make a pajama capsule wardrobe, so I need to get my act together on this one!
Almost all of these patterns I already have fabric to go with them, and some of them I've actually cut out over Christmas break (I tend to cut out in batches in my holidays because I've found it too tiring during term time), including a Hannah toile and a first Myosotis. 

So let's have a look at the fabrics, then?


  1. Maroon swim fabric (from Blackbird) - a carry over from 2020 and destined for my Cottesloe one piece
  2. Speckled wool mix (from Barry's in Birmingham) and black ribbing from my stash - destined for the Rigel Bomber
  3. Green speckled Heart of Huddersfield wool - this was the biggest purchase I made from Fabworks near Sheffield and is a very local British wool which is beautiful quality. This will hopefully be the Quart coat.
  4. 'Oil slick' blue velvet (bought at a Knitting and Stitching show) - destined for the aforementioned Christmas dress (now 2021 edition)
  5. French Navy double gauze (from Fabric Godmother) - I can't wait to sew with this, and have it earmarked for either a Hannah or a Myosotis, but it's not going to be for my first version! The Hannah in particular i want to toile first, so I'm using other fabric first
  6. London city map lining fabric (from Fabric Godmother) - I don't have a pattern in mind for this yet - I don't think it will work with my Quart coat outer. It's gorgeous though and I bought 3m (when I saw it online I just had to have it!!!)
  7. White broderie anglaise - another 2020 carry over, I have always planned to dye this before I sew it up (maybe green?) into a cute summery dress
  8. Black and white gingham - another 2020 carry over. I bought this fabric to remake a dress I used to have, however I'm not sure if I'll reuse the same pattern or make something new...
  9. Mustard and black jersey (from Minerva) - these are for my planned PJ capsule wardrobe (to be mixed and matched with plaid flannels) using the D&D Plantain and CC Carolyn pants patterns.
So those are my plans! I feel like they are achievable - now that I've made a coat (2020) and a bikini (2019), those things don't scare me any more! Here's to more making in 2020 - and a year that is looking up!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs