Bottle 'Jumper' - Kwik Sew 4138

Out of all the things I sewed in 2020, this is easily my second favourite (my first being my Kelly, which has seen almost daily wear since it was finished and has kept my dry at many a drizzly school pickup)! And I only finished it in the middle of November!

I very much liked the pinafore craze that was going around, but I tend to like garments with a more pronounced shape than something like the Cleo or Bobbi which were the popular patterns on Instagram. So I jumped on the internet and Googled, and eventually I found Kwik Sew 4138. A lovely full skirt, pockets (duh!), and a nicely shaped bib. It was everything I wanted, so I ordered it along with some mid weight bottle green cotton twill. I thought about going for black (and have since ordered some black corduroy to make a second with!) but decided that given I was using a relatively plain fabric I wanted to go for a more interesting colour. I also have a lot of black and navy in my wardrobe, and the green actually goes with a surprising amount of things!

I traced a size M and decided I didn't want to use buttons, so i used dungaree clips for the front, and put a trousers hook and bar on the back instead of the button there. As it turns out, the size M is a little bit big around the waist, and it would droop a little bit at the centre back. Luckily, I simply moved the hook and bar to make the skirt portion a little tighter, and the straps hold it up at the back just fine. Next time I will trace the size S!

I am actually really excited to make and have that black pinafore in my wardrobe as well. Using cord should make it interesting enough without it being boring. It's also very versatile - my current one at the moment gets worn with tights and over jumpers, thermal tops - and when it warms up it'll go really well with tees and crop tops (like this one!).


P.S. Does anyone else know why they call it a "jumper"?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs