A Super Fast Turnaround; The Lahja Dressing Gown

This garment is definitely the fastest turnaround, from fabric ordering to having a finished garment. It was less than a week! I had been seen the email for one of the Guthrie and Ghani kits, to make the Named Patterns Lahja dressing gown. I had dismissed it at first, thinking I wouldn't wear a dressing gown, but being at home more meant I wasn't rolling out of bed and straight into the shower every day and I actually would wear one in the mornings. So I had a look at patterns, then decided that the Lahja was the right pattern. But by then the kit had almost sold out (plus I did some maths and realised that buying the fabric and pattern separately were cheaper!), so I went onto the Guthrie and Ghani website itself and bought the same fabric through them directly.


I picked the sage green in the waffle cotton for my dressing gown - I had thought about navy blue, but consciously made the choice to NOT add more dark blue to my wardrobe. The fabric arrived in just a few days, I had it washed by the next day, and I was cutting it the day after that! I cut a size M in the short length and it is the perfect amount of over sized and cosy!


It helps that this is a super quick sew. It is almost all straight lines, with the sleeves set in flat. This waffle cotton takes the stitches really beautifully, but be careful - they sink in something fierce, and I was very glad that I only had to unpick stitches once. It's a really lovely dressing gown fabric - like wearing a towel - and I reach for it every morning I'm not headed into work (so on holidays, weekends, and during the end of WFH) so pop on while I eat breakfast and potter around the house. I made the mid length, as I am not super tall, and actually have a surprisingly amount of fabric left over! If there is anyone who has recommendations for what do with my remaining waffle cotton, please let me know.


I think the best part of this pattern is the POCKETS. They are, to put it frankly, HUGE. Which is fantastic! I can very easily pop my phone in one pocket and my headphones in the other for my morning BBC news podcasting while I munch on my Rice Crispies.


While it does make me feel a bit silly, that I went from 'I don't really need one of these' to 'I'm wearing this every day!' so quickly, but I don't regret it! I even offered to make one for the Husband, but he is adamant he wouldn't wear one. But it is a unisex pattern, so maybe in the future I'll make some as gifts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs