Longest Stash Fabric; a BHL Hannah Toile!


This fabric has been long lingering in my stash - I bought it years and years and years ago (I think I was still living in Canberra at that point, which makes it about 7 years ago?!) from Spotlight. I was drawn to the blue and white aethestic that reminded me of Delft pottery with the lovely colours and patterns, and the lightness of the lawn. However, the problem was that as it is on a white base, it was a little bit too see through for me to use at that point. So into the stash it went for a while - a long while!


When I decided to try wrap dresses, there were 2 patterns I had in mind. The first was the True Bias Calvin, which is lovely but a bit of a departure of my usual style and which I have already made a top and dress with. The other was much closer to my style, but still a wrap - the By Hand London Hannah dress.


I made a size 12 with no adjustments, using the regular sleeve for the toile. The fit is quite lovely - I feel like I may be between sizes and could maybe go down one, but it looks great on. I did find it long, but this happens with a lot of patterns on me (I'm not very tall!) and in the end I lopped 8" off the hem and then did a generous 1" hem as well! I also feel like there was a bit much fabric around the front underarm area, but I think this could be solved by going down a size. The wrap is lower than the Calvin, but not by much, and it is balanced by the more modest sleeves and gathered skirt. The underskirt panel being flat is frankly brilliant, and in lawn really helpful for avoiding too much bulk. In a cotton lawn making the ties was pretty straightfoward. I used a shop bought plain white bias for the facings


I also own a few slips now (one each in white, nude and black) so the transparency isn't an issue! I won't be wearing it to work any time soon but it would be perfect for a picnic or outing in the park. A perfectly pretty spring/summer dress!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs