Fancy Not-Pants; a Liberty Myosotis


My Myosotis toile was the practice for this garment! If you have seen this blog before (hi again!), then you will recognise this fabric. When ordering the fabric for my Kelly Anorak, I fell in love with the Liberty print Botanist's Diary, which was the perfect match for my outer fabric. And when ordering it, I may have *accidentally* put 5m in my cart, which was a crazy expense and wayyy more fabric than I knew I'd need - but then it came in handy! I had it in my mind to also make a dress using this fabric with what was leftover. I will, however be avoiding wearing them together as that would actually be too much!


As soon as I made my first Myosotis (in black and white check cotton), I knew I would be making more. I had plans in my head about 3 others, one of which is made (this one), one which is cut out (in petrol blue double gauze), and another which currently only exists in my head (in broderie anglaise). I briefly contemplated using the other colourway of Botanists Diary (which I had leftover from making a Sylvia Robe in it for my Mum) and colour-blocking it, but realised that again, that would be too much!


So this version is the same size as my toile (42, 1 size down from my usual Deer and Doe size), this time with both the skirt ruffle and sleeve ruffle. I also cut a couple of rectangles to make some ties, which I inserted into the side seams to be abl eto cinch the waist just a little when I want to. I wasn't sure if the sleeve ruffles would actually make it onto the garment but I think it's just the right balance of whimsy and fun. In the Liberty lawn it's cool to wear (I wore it to work with a denim jacket on the warmest day of 2021 so far) and stays opaque even though it's relatively thin. It's extra, but not TOO extra, you know?


I realise that a whole dress in Liberty is not a small expense, but I think it's totally worth it in fabric quality and I know I will wear this a lot during the summer! And I still see myself making more dresses in this style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs