A Change of Plans; the Rigel Bomber

Way back in 2019, I went to the SewBrum meetup, and of course, I picked up some fabric! This is one of the pieces I got at that time, in Barry's. It's a really lovely wool blend, grey with rainbow speckles.


I originally had in mind the Morris Blazer by Grainline to make with this fabric, but on further reflection I realised I couldn't wear a blazer all that much. I currently own one blazer which I bought RTW but don't wear it all that much. When I started seeing the Rigel Bomber popping up ages ago I thought it was cool but wasn't sure if I could pull it off.


Lately though, I've realised (at the age of 31 so I kinda wish it had happened sooner!) that I care a lot less about what looks good on me now and more about what I feel good in! When the Rigel bomber paper pattern went on final sale and there were only a few left, I had to have it - and then I realised that I had everything in my stash to make it except the zip!


I sewed up the size M for a nice comfy fit (although if I made it again I might go a S next time), using a black ribbing from my stash which was originally purchased at Guthrie and Ghani for sweatshirts. As it is unlined, I bias bound the visible body seams and overlocked the rest, including the sleeve seams. I ended up waiting to purchase a zip until I could measure the length needed as I had read on others' blog posts that it wasn't super accurate for all sizes.


I ended up making a couple of tweaks after I had originally finished it. I had originally sewn the facing down by topstitching, but the thread didn't blend in at all so I unpicked it and hand sewed it down instead. The sewing line is still slightly visible but it doesn't bother me as much which is good. I also took the hem ribbing out and tightened it by a few inches to cinch it a little more at the hips.


I really like this pattern and it is actually quite transeasonal - it can be worn  with a light layer but is soft enough that it works with a tshirt too! Kind of tempted to make another one eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs