Liberty Leftovers; a Myosotis Hack


While I was sewing up my Liberty Myosotis dress, I remembered that I actually had this fabric in another colour way. This is also the Liberty Lawn called Botanist’s Diary, only in the other colour way than the blue! I bought this fabric after I made my Kelly, and used it for some selfless sewing to make my Mum (an actual, real life botanist!) a Sew Over It Sylvia robe for Christmas. She loved it and wears it, and it really felt like kismet - the name of the fabric, the gorgeous print, and the perfect colourway for my Mum!


But I did have leftovers which I wanted to use for something for me. I didn’t have enough for a dress (I briefly considered colour blocking a dress with the blue colour way but decided it would be too much, even for me), and while I have a gap for blouses in my wardrobe I don’t really wear any tops that aren’t stretchy, so that seemed redundant. Then I realised a fun skirt for summer would be perfect in this kind of fabric! I wanted to make something gathered and cute, but I’m not really a pattern drafter - I like to have a pattern to follow. So I took my newly beloved Myosotis pattern skirt pieces (just the skirt and skirt ruffle) pieces, and I had just enough to add pockets and a waistband for elastic!


Using the Myosotis pieces (I wear a 42 in this, 1 size below my usual size in Deer and Doe) meant that I didn’t have to draft any gathering or do any maths, but I did draft the waistband. Due to the shape of fabric left after I cut the rest of the pieces, I cut two rectangles to the height I wanted the waistband (plus seam allowance) but to the width of my hips. Inside the waistband I put some wide elastic by my waist measurement. The result is a lightly gathered waistband which is easy to get on and off and still looks cute!


I have been loving this paired with a white tee and my denim jacket (actually, that’s what I was wearing today!) but I think actually it will be pretty versatile given all the colours in the pattern. And with no closures and lots of straight lines it’s a quick sew, even during term time! And now I have plans for another Myosotis skirt in a different small piece of Liberty I have in my stash as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs