New Style? The Lander pants

The final thing I wanted to make while I was in Australia was a huge departure in style for me. Although my style mostly consists of high waisted skirts with floaty tops, or dresses with a high waisted fitted bodice and a big skirt. Basically, quite 50s vintage vibe.

So having high waisted trousers maybe does make sense, but I've never worn any before. So, in Australia with time and the Lander pattern (also bought in a Black Friday sale), I decided why not? I'd give it a go.



With the plan to make a wearable toile, I thought of using corduroy fabric, again from Spotlight. And even though I had a plain color in mind, when I saw this fabric it just spoke to me! It was the perfect autumn fabric (and with the top I am wearing, which is from Cotton On, it's the perfect warm autumn outfit) and makes the perfect autumn pants! Only problem is that I've gone from Australian summer to British spring... But I forsee a lot of wear in the autumn.



I made a size 12, but at the rage of fitting the side seams took quite a bit out (I don't remember exactly how much though) so next time I'll make a 10, maybe even an 8. But the fit and drafting is fantastic. The wide leg is so classy and comfy, and I really like the detail of a button fly. To make it fit even better I think I'll move the buttons slightly and pull it in at the fly area. But that's all my fault and the point of a toile so I don't mind. I also only noticed in these photos that the waistband is sticking out a bit at the back. I think I need a curved waistband, so I'll use one from another pattern for my next version.



For my first pair of trousers (having only made 1 shorts pattern twice before this), I found it an extremely straightforward sew. The instructions are lovely and very logical. I liked that you get to fit along the way, especially for the first time making a pattern like this.



So it wasn't so scary after all! I'm already planning a shorts pair in a light denim with a little stretch for perfect high waisted summer shorts. Can't wait!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs