When Plans Change; A Pieced Sleeve Sweater

This was one of those pattern and fabric combinations that changed as I made it up. I spotted this fabric in Fabworks Mill Shop outside Sheffield when I travelled there in early September for the Anorak August meetup. Having selected 4 fabrics in the shop, this is only the second I've made up (after my plaid Moneta dress) - that being said at the time of writing, I am 2/3rds the way done with another fabric and it'll probably be done by the time this is up!

I had really wanted to try a version of the Linden sweater inspired by the Megan Neilsen Jarrah sweater, of which one of the views has a really lovely tie front. I thought this lovely sweat-shirting fabric would be perfect, however after I got it home and it was washed, I realised that the fabric for this would bee too heavy. It was a shame, because while it was washing and drying (a process which takes a few days in the UK in colder weather), I drafted the front piece. I've now put it away for a more approriate fabric.

I decided to make my regular long sleeved Linden in a size 8. But when I got to the sleeves, I realised they wouldn't fit! So on the fly I drew a diagonal line to split the sleeve and make it fit on the fabric. I actually really like the way the pieced sleeve turned out - it looks particularly effective with the contrasting stripe making the cool angle. Due to fabric constraints I also left off the cuffs on the hem band and cuffs, and again I think in this highly structured fabric it works better without them.

With this fabric being on the thicker side it makes for a more boxy look but I like the way it looks. And I love the Linden pattern - at least there will be more in my future with my self-drafted tie front!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Gingham Lilou - My Gingham-Along Entry!

The real deal; Sirocco Jumpsuit

The most comfy; Plaintain PJs